Caught a rather large lightning storm over Kansas City from my hotel room last night and luckily had a little camera there to film some of it. Of course, the grainy video I put together doesn’t quite do justice to how beautiful it was. I added the music because, strangely enough, there wasn't any thunder anyway.

I guess this sort of thing isn’t too out of the ordinary out here (since we've been here the region has seen a small tornado, pretty big hail, and a large tanker fire), but I have to admit that it was a little bit scary. Not in the sense that I feared for my life, but more in a deeper primal way – you know that sort of sixth sense that animals can sense and are disquieted by the change in atmosphere during a storm. It’s really amazing how much the weather (and by extension the 'state of the world') can affect us. During this storm, I felt a lot of apprehension, sort of like all life's fears, doubts and apprehensions were suddenly flashing out there in rapid succession. However, when it finally died down and the rain came, it was actually sort of soothing – like the world finally let some of its tension go. It was nice thinking alone time for me.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Well, you're still kinda in Kansas :) Welcome to the Mid-West! The lightning is really cool, even though it makes you feel like a little kid again, wanting to go hide under your sheets from the flashes and the noise.

I saw about the tanker that caught on fire and wondered how close you were to it.

Hope your trip was good...we're sorry that we couldn't hang out with you at all :(

Melissa said...

What the??? You were ONLY 5 hours away and you didn't tell us??? We would have driven up, we love Kansas City! No one ever comes to visit us, sigh, but with the tornados and humidity, I can't blame them. Were you out for a job interview so you can move out here??
Yeah tornadoes are pretty scary but people here in Oklahoma aren't scared AT ALL. I remember my first threatening storm, I spent the whole night glued to the TV with a map and a flashlight watching how close the tornadoes were coming. The geography of our city is weird that they always seem to pass us by. I sure don't hate that!! Cool video though, as always.

Post a Comment