I guess everyone allows for a little bit of superstition throughout the course of their lives. For some it's horoscopes or whistling indoors or working on the thirteenth floor. I'm really a pretty grounded person, but I'll admit that I have got one pretty silly little superstition that actually probably does more good than harm.
See, I have noticed a little recurring pattern in my life -- that with the release of each new Weezer album, significant changes take place in my life. What's more is that not only do these releases correspond with changes in my life, but even in some small way probably played a part in shaping how I dealt with them. Isn't it interesting to think about how much what you choose to explore really does have an effect on the course of your life?
Yeah, I know it sounds stupid and you could really quite easily arbitrarily assign significant shifts in your life to the coincidental correlation of events of just about any type. But indulge me and take a look at this anyway:
1. The Blue Album (1994) - The Awakening. My first real step outside of kid stuff into seeing the broader world. Started doing "grown-up things" like listening to rock music, paying attention to the news sometimes, and reading lots of Tom Clancy.
2. Pinkerton (1996) - Independence. Really started leaving the nest for the first time when I got my driver's license. Found a whole new world of close friends that has carried through until even now.
3. The Green Album (2001) - Return. Got home from my mission, lived alone, working and studying both full-time. and started wondering what on earth to do with my life.
4. Maladroit (2002) - Wedding Bells. Got married to Natasha and awkwardly started a new life with her. Solidified what I wanted to do with my life and really committed myself to working hard for it.
5. Make Believe (2005) - Children in New Places. Jonathan was born, radically changing the way I looked at my life, marriage, and family. Also moved out to Washington DC for a new job, beginning a rocky, but fruitful search for my place in the workforce.
6. The Red Album (2008) - ??. Though superstition is pretty rare for me, I can't help but wonder with measured excitement what shift the new album (released on June 3rd) will bring into my life. I guess there's really nothing too wrong about that in the end. After all, every once in a while we all need to hope for new good things to come to us, even if that hope doesn't necessarily have a tangible reason to exist.
PS - Oh, if you're going to waste my comment space by calling Weezer sissy - just get a life.
























2 comments:
Woohoo, Weazer!
I think being able to find patterns in our seamless existence is really fun, and actually a nice way to take a step back and take a good look at ourself.
But, now, one has to wonder...because you anticipate something happening in 2008, will it happen on its own, or will you--knowingly or no--make it happen? Guess we'll have to wait and see :)
Wow that is incredible- I love that your life has followed that pattern- how neat for you. And Heck no Weezer is not sissy- who would say that. They ROCK!! I still remember seeing them at the E-Center with Brandon and how much the rocked- we will definitely check out that album. And hopefully something good happens with your life this time around (I'm not saying that the others weren't good, I just hope it is a good change and not a bad one.)
Post a Comment