Well, it's finally over. After eight times, no more lonely boring 6-hour drives from VA to northern PA. I didn't even bother bringing a map this time because I knew exactly where every turn and every interesting site is. Here are a few highlights:
1. Somerset, PA - site of the United 93 crash site, which we will be stopping at when we move on Sunday.
2. These nuts who are rebuilding Noah's Ark in western Maryland. I bet the contractors who got this are laughing all the way to the bank.
3. Salisbury, PA - the most patriotic little town I have ever seen. I mean really, big huge flags on every home and building. I also got stuck behind an Amish horse and buggy driving through once.
4. The Pennsylvania Turnpike Blue Mountain Tunnel - a pretty amazing tunnel in the road that pretty much just goes straight through a mountain.
Last night's trip gave me a chance to celebrate my very favorite kind of driving - night driving on country roads. The combination of a few things make this the most fun:
- night makes you feel like you're moving faster than you really are;
- you aren't distracted by peripheral vision, so you feel more one with the road;
- you get the road all to yourself for the most part;
- twists and turns; and,
- you can stop anytime you want and enjoy the blanket of stars.
Anyway, it's great and here's a crappy quality video from my cell phone to prove it:
This is likely our final post from VA - we'll see you way up north.
























4 comments:
It's bitter-sweet to leave a place you've built memories around and in which you've had so many special events happen. Good luck with the move and enjoy the newness of it all! (And enjoy the family in town!)
Oh! And Happy Birthday Natasha! We hope it was a good one--even if you were in the middle of moving.
Hey! My parents just got their mission call to the area you've been driving through! They'll be in the Harrisburg mission. Good luck with the move. We miss you guys...
Natasha: Thanks Sara. It was a good birthday.
Post a Comment